This is my attempt to document the different organisations that are using AI in New Zealand. This page contains a brief description of what they are doing and it’s my intention to write up more detail on the technology and business application for each of these.
If you know of any other organisation that I have missed off this list then please let me know – either in the comments below or directly. Likewise, if you are involved in any of these organisations and would like to talk to be about how you’re using AI please contact me.
Here are the organisations I’ve written posts about after interviewing key people within the organisation.
Ambit: A platform for building chatbots. Co-founder Tim Warren explains how the platform learns, its key differentiators and the commercial success they’re having.
Auckland University Robotics Research Group is working on a variety of robotics projects, including kiwi fruit robots. Chair, Bruce MacDonald discusses these projects in this article.
Aware Group: AI Consulting, including machine vision, natural language processing and predictive models. They have offices in Hamilton and Seattle.
Lincoln Agritech: Using machine vision for non-invasive grape yield prediction – see the blog post about how Lincoln Agritech are using deep learning for crop yield estimates
NEC New Zealand: AI for smart cities: traffic counting, bird identification, incident detection
The New Zealand Merino Company: Analysing accelerometer data to identify sheep behaviour to improve sheep well being.
Ohmio (part of HMI technologies): Self driving shuttles – see the blog post following an interview with Ohmio’s artificial intelligence manager
Here are other organisations using AI in NZ:
- Active Associate: chatbots for law firms and other professional services organisations
- ARDA (part of Performance Lab): An AI powered coaching platform
- Amy: AI powered maths tutor
- Boma: Using machine learning to suggest new ways to engage an audience.
- Companies using chatbots:
- Data Genius: Software development company with CEO in Christchurch has completed various AI projects for it’s global customers. More details to come.
- Dexibit: Big data analytics for visitor attractions.
- DOT loves data: Using predictive modelling and natural language processing to translate data into actionable stories.
- Enatel: A stealth AI project around big data, smart city power & charging infrastructure – more detail to come…
- Faceme: Digital Employees
- GleeTech: A technology consulting company with AI capabilities including natural language process, predictive modelling and deep learning.
- Harmoney: Using AI to asses credit risk
- Inland Revenue: Using machine learning for fraud detection and other tasks
- Intela: Data Science as a managed service, with skills in machine learning, machine vision, natural language processing & more.
- Farrago: a product from Intela using machine learning for data cleansing
- Ipiphany (part of Touchpoint Group): Using AI for text analysis within the enterprise
- Isogonal: Providing AI solutions to industrial, healthcare and technology industries
- Kantar: a global research & data insights consultancy with NZ offices, using AI to improve the performance of corporate & government clients.
- Labyrinth Solutions: Using facial recognition with interactive signs
- Linewize: uses machine learning for VPN identification for student internet management in schools.
- MinterEllisonRuddWatts (with Goat Ventures): Researching the application of AI for legal services.
- MoleMap: Using machine vision to classify suspicious moles, in partnership with IBM.
- Orion Health: using machine learning models to predict patient costs and readmission risks.
- Parrot Analytics: Using AI to produce a global demand rating system for content across platforms
- Pingar: Automatic document classification using machine learning
- Prefer: Creation of conversational AI a.k.a. Chat bots
- Zwerm: a product from Prefer for omnibot management
- RoboticsPlus: Robotic fruit picking
- Sagitto: They sell a miniature near-infrared spectrometer along with a service to build predictive models from the data generated using machine learning algorithms.
- ScaleXT: An artificial intelligence recruitment platform
- Shuttlerock: Using AI to refresh ad creative in Facebook
- SLI Systems: Using machine learning to improve site search, navigation, SEO, recommendations and personalization for e-commerce
- Soul Machines: Digital humans
- Stock Trim: Using machine learning to optimize inventory levels.
- Talania: Custom chatbot solutions
- Telstra: Bought Wynyard’s Cognevo business which uses machine learning for cyber security.
- Thematic: Uses artificial intelligence to analyse customer feedback
- Theta: Building bots for NZ businesses, eg. Snow Centre
- ThisData (part of OneLogin): using machine learning for risk scoring to detect anomalous logins attempts.
- Unified Inbox: Messaging platform for IoT devices using natural language processing
- Unison Networks: Using IoT powered machine learning models to optimize power transmission
- Vend: AI advice for retailers
- Xero: Using AI to automate accounting